After being almost completely eliminated in the mid-20th century, bed bugs have made a resurgence in the last couple of decades. Everyone knows someone who’s had the misfortune of staying in a hotel and later finding bed bugs crawling all over the beds, but did you know that they can infest your Glen Allen, Virginia area home too? A bed bug infestation can be hard to detect until it becomes serious and can make your home feel like a nightmare.
Bed bugs are oval-shaped bugs that are brown or brownish red in color. They are flat and around the size of an apple seed, making them difficult to spot at first glance. A bed bug infestation usually occurs when they stowaway in your luggage after traveling and you unknowingly bring them into your home. A bed bug breach is hard for homeowners to discover, and most never realize that they’ve brought them in until weeks later when it’s a full infestation. Bed bugs are generally found in bed linens, mattresses, headboards, or in furniture or fixtures near your bed, though sometimes they can be found hiding in the cracks of your baseboards or walls.
If your Richmond or Midlothian, Virginia area home is infested with bed bugs, Pest Authority of Richmond can help with our quality pest control services. We will custom-tailor a treatment plan that’s specific to your home and level of infestation. Once we get rid of the current infestation, we will design and implement a prevention plan so that you never have to worry about bed bugs again. Our team will work hard to ensure that your home is protected from current and future bed bug infestations. No Commitments. No Contracts. No Bed Bugs. Guaranteed.
Signs of a Bed Bug Infestation:
- Itchy, red bites appear on your skin after a night’s sleep, often in a straight line or zig-zag pattern
- Small fecal stains or blood spots appear on your pajamas, mattress, or bed linens
- Flat, oval-shaped bugs that are brown or brownish red in color are spotted in your home
Bed Bug Prevention Tips:
- Check hotel reviews for mentions of bed bugs every time you travel.
- Thoroughly inspect hotel bed linens, mattresses, headboards, and bed frames for any signs of bed bugs as soon as you arrive.
- Keep your luggage on a luggage rack and not on the ground.
- Wash your bedding at home regularly.
- Put all materials that can’t be machine washed in the dryer for 20-30 minutes on the highest heat to kill the bed bugs and their eggs.