After your home has been treated for bed bugs, you may be left wondering what you should do next. Follow these tips, and you’ll be sure you’re doing everything right after your bed bug treatment is complete.
- Seal all mattresses and pillows. Mattresses should be sealed in mattress encasements, and pillows should be sealed in vinyl pillow covers. Keep all mattresses and pillows sealed for a full year after treatment, so any lingering bed bugs die of starvation.
- Don’t enter your home or treated rooms for at least 4-5 hours after treatment. If you or anyone in your family is sick or has a compromised immune system, talk to your doctor about when it’s safe to re-enter your home.
- Open all your doors and windows once you do re-enter your home to air it out.
- Thoroughly wash and clean all the surfaces in your home, especially in your kitchen and bathroom.
- Vacuum your entire home every day for at least four days following treatment. If your vacuum cleaner requires a bag, only use disposable bags and throw it away in an outdoor garbage can immediately after vacuuming.
- Reinspect your home regularly after treatment. Don’t just look in rooms that were previously affected. Inspect all adjacent rooms as well. Bed bugs can travel to another room when threatened by the treatment. Sticky traps and bed bug interceptors can help you perform a thorough inspection. If you see bed bugs after treatment, call your pest control professional immediately.
- Continue implementing preventive measure to avoid any future bed bug infestations. When you travel, check hotel reviews for any mention of bed bugs, and choose another hotel if you find any negative reviews. When you arrive at the hotel, inspect the bed frame, linens, mattress, headboard, and bedside tables for any signs of bed bugs. Immediately switch hotels if you find any and leave a review to warn future guests. Keep your luggage on a luggage rack instead of on the floor or bed of a hotel. Don’t store your clothes or belongings in the hotel dresser or bedside tables. At home, wash all your bedding regularly. If anything can’t be machine washed, put it in the dryer on the highest heat setting to kill any bed bugs or eggs.
Bed bugs infestations can make your home feel like a nightmare, but Pest Authority is here to help you take back your home from bed bugs and stop infestations in their tracks. With our 100% satisfaction guarantee, you can rest easy knowing Pest Authority is committed to ridding your home of bed bugs for good.